HEA 1015 was signed into law, which urges the legislative council to establish a study committee to study issues related to student discipline and safety:
- A review of existing student discipline statutes and common law, and the effectiveness of the statutes and common law.
- Strategies for parental participation in the discipline process.
- Strategies for early intervention in disciplinary situations.
- Model policies and best practices for school corporations to use for school discipline and staff training.
- Any other related topic the committee considers necessary.
Interestingly, the bill does not state who should be part of the proposed committee, unlike other interim study committees bills that list key members to be included.
If the committee exists, it will provide an opportunity for policy advocates to highlight the school resources officers role, the impact of truancy courts, alternatives to court involvement, and impact of suspension and expulsion on graduation rates and dropout rates, etc.